Nicolas Winding Refn’s “The Neon Demon” premiered at Cannes Thursday night, and it has to be one of the strangest takes on the horror genre ever made. Here are five things you need to know before seeing it.
- It’s bound to be unrated. Refs has always pushed boundaries, but this stylish film also features necrophilia from no other than Jena Malone. She works in the coroner’s office and puts makeup on the dead, when she’s not working for fashion executives.
- The movie’s tagline should be: If you can’t beat them, eat them. Yep, we’re talking supermodel cannibals.
- Elle Fanning seems like such a nice girl at first, but something goes terribly wrong with her. She knows all the other supermodels want to “be” her. So she really should be a bit more careful about choosing her friends. She says she’s not as innocent as she looks, but can she do battle with vicious supermodel cannibals?
- The soundtrack by Cliff Martinez is fantastic. He’s reportedly coming to Austin in June for interviews, and it’s time to brush up on his past.
- Refn thrives on controversy, so he probably won’t be too sorry to hear that his movie got wild boos on Thursday night at its press premiere. The press conference is on Friday. Be there or be eaten.